Monday, September 14, 2009

Prologue: Toilet Reading

I’m originally from Malaysia but my folks packed my family to Hong Kong when I was two. My two older brothers and I attended primary and secondary schools with British Expats and I eventually ended up coming to the United States for University. Fifteen years later, I am still in the States, unemployed, and eagerly ready to start a new chapter in my life. I thought this would be the perfect time to look back on my life and smile about it. I’ve modeled, worked with supermodels (like Christy Turlington!), traveled the world, been on MTV, had a stint as a drag queen, dabbled with drugs (and STIs…) and for the first time ever, been laid off.

I decided the best way to reflect on my 33 years (aside from painting my body in honey and then jumping into glitter) would be to share random stories of my life -- especially since I have so much time on my hands. We’ll see how this experiment works out…


I have no grand ideas about this writing project. I’m just going to have fun and be completely honest. Read these memoirs at your leisure. Perhaps when you're sitting on the toilet doing your business, you could pull up a story on your mobile device, read it, put your device down, wipe yourself clean, flush, and be on your way to a new day.

The following memoirs aren't necessarily in order of how and when they happened in my life. Some names have been altered to protect the guilty...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A great start Ch'ien. I look forward to reading along with all your entries.