Friday, September 18, 2009

Model Behaviour -- Just Barely

While I was at Island School (my secondary school), one of the main aspirations for any student that took school seriously was to become Head Boy, Head Girl, or to become a School or House Prefect. I only made it to House Prefect.

As a Prefect you were expected to set exceptional examples as a hard working student to students in lower years. My House Masters reminded all Prefects that the students in the lower years would be looking up to us like we were their older brothers and sisters.

As a Prefect, you also got to wear a badge with your House colour. The dorky Prefects wore their badges on their chests, while the cooler Prefects chose to wear their badges on their hip pockets or rucksacks.

Some of my friends were shocked I made Prefect, while others expected it like they knew someone would fart after eating a big can of beans. I made great grades, was on the volleyball and swim team, did a lot of volunteer service, and was involved with the drama crew. On the other hand, I had the nickname "King Skiver" (Oxford Dictionary: to "skive" is to avoid work or a duty). I was often skiving with friends sneaking off to First Pagoda on the school running path to smoke cigarettes and play D&D, or sneaking off to Central to play video games at the arcades. My friends that stayed at school always came up with excuses for me:

"Where's Ch'ien?" one teacher would ask the class.
"He had to go to the Malaysian Consulate to do something with his passport" a friend would say.
"Again? Didn't he do that last week?"

I had the good grades and I never really got questioned about my whereabouts. I was also teacher's pet for most of my subjects. When I utterly liked a teacher and thought they were going above and beyond with teaching me something, it was not unusual for me to sketch a portrait for them and frame it or purchase them an ostentatiously huge bouquet of flowers.

During this time when I was in the Sixth Form, my oldest brother, Tien, was a hot model in Hong Kong. He'd done a lot of print and TV commercials and when his casting agency asked if he had any brothers for new talent, he recommended both his younger brothers. So what if casting was during school hours? My parents thought it was fun so they didn't mind that my middle brother and I went the next day. My friends at school just rolled their eyes when I told them the news.

I got cast for the same local clothing company, Theme, as Tien. My middle brother got Jack. I shot my first TV commercial and Print campaign a few weeks later without Tien since he was at the University of Nottingham in the UK studying Econometrics.

It was a thrilling experience. Lights, cameras, your own make-up artist, all these different outfits. Some Director yelling, "Cut!" Theme was basically like the Gap brand so you can just imagine the silly, cheesy things we were doing in the early 90s. The backdrop was a theme park by the beach and I still cringe thinking back to the shoot. The Director took photos of us having fake conversations and laughing with the other Models like we were besties. *puke*

When the campaign rolled out my friends were glued to the TV to catch the commercial. Teachers and students took the MTR subway to catch my billboards. Friends brought the Theme catalogue to school to pass it around. It was really cool. All thanks to my cool oldest brother that hooked me up.

A few months later when Tien came back to Hong Kong for break, Theme wanted another shoot with the brothers both in the campaign. This shoot took place on Macau Island and would last several days -- they totally upped the budget! I was so excited for round two! Two of the previous female models were also rehired and this story was going to revolve around my brother dating one of the other girls.

The morning we were supposed to head to Macau I was ready to start immediately. I probably didn't sleep a wink the night before. We met with the casting agency and before I knew it, the whole team was on a boat to Macau. Already, something was different. I realised right away I was nothing more than an extra! All attention was on Tien. The hotter brother.

"Tien, how's uni going?"
"Tien, you look great! Have you been working out?"
"Tien, we've all missed you so much! We're so glad you're helping out with this campaign!"
"Ch'ien, your brother is such a cool guy!"

I was invisible, stuck on a boat, and stuck on an island for a few days having to listen to this grovelling. I was literally a dull star barely in the orbit of my gorgeous brother's radiant universe.

I got through the first day of shooting -- just. I often asked myself why Theme even hired me back? I must admit that during shooting, I saw my brother in a whole different light. He was a really great model. He took direction really well and the camera loved him; heck the entire crew loved him. Tyra, my brother was smizing like you wouldn't believe! I reminded myself that there was just one more day of shooting I'd have to endure.

The shoot the next day continued where the first ended. More of Tien. Somewhere in the middle of the shoot the Director wanted to try something new. He wanted more props.

"Give Tien the good stuff! He's the Jock in this story. Come to think, since he is the Jock, give Ch'ien the books. He looks like the studious type," the Director said.

Did they know who I was? I'm King Skiver on my turf! What the hell? Regardless, I did what I was told and when the Dirctor started shooting I even heard him say, "He looks so natural with this. We should have given him the books sooner."

I bit my lip and put a pen to page thinking I was Shakespeare about to write the hottest sonnet ever.

"That's right, Ch'ien! That looks great. Keep going," burped the Director.

I continued doodling what I knew to be my brother with a cock in his mouth.

When it was time to do the final group shoot, something happened. It was like art imitating life and Tien and the lead female model, Maria were in some row! Voices were raised and the Director immediately started to panic. The 2 heroes were supposed to be in love! These were models, not actors! What if they couldn't turn off this sudden hatred for one another when the cameras started rolling? I just wanted the shoot to be done so I knew I had do try and calm my dai lo (an endearing term given to your oldest brother) down.

"Dai lo, let's just all take a deep breath and forget about whatever Maria said and finish this shoot?" I tried to sound as sincere as possible. I really wanted this shoot to be over.

Tien turned around and glared at me. He didn't say a word. After what felt like 5 minutes of some staring contest (it was probably only about three seconds), he turned to the Director and told him to roll it. I couldn't believe it! I must have earned Tien's respect somehow and he agreed to listen to my suggestion! It was like a breakthrough. Like reading a Shakesepare piece to a girl to make her go gaga. I dissolved back into the background and let the shoot come to an end.

"It's a wrap!"

Everyone cheered and we loaded onto the coaches to dinner. My whole being was relieved. This crazy shoot was over and I connected with my dai lo! When we sat down at the restaurant I knew my meal even tasted better then usual. My glands and feelings were alive! All were in great spirits and they even fed us a couple beers to celebrate. We played some games and when we all started yawning from the day's labours we headed back to the hotel.

When my brother and I got back into our hotel room, I called the first shower and rushed into the bathroom. It was so refreshing to clean up. We had been modelling winter items in the heat of summer. I washed all the product out of my hair and wiped any make-up remains from my face.

"All yours," I told my brother.

He went into the shower and I changed into my pyjamas. I tucked myself into my bed and anxiously waited for my brother to come out so we could have a bro-to-bro chat and review the day. My dai lo eventually came out of the bathroom. He had his towel wrapped around his waist to show off his pecs and six-pack.

"Don't ever disrespect me like that in public ever again," he said to me.

I couldn't believe what I just heard? I asked him what he was talking about? How did I do something that would upset him so much and not be aware of it. Apparently when I asked him to keep the shoot rolling I was siding with Maria and the Director.

"This was one of the worst model shoots I've ever expereinced," he continued.

"But, I..." I tried.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore. And don't talk back to your elders. You were wrong. Just go to bed. I don't ever want to do a shoot with you again."

My dai lo turned off the lights and crept into bed. I'm not entirely sure but I think tears welled up in my eyes. Of course Tien didn't see them as he was turned with his back facing me in his own bed.

*****

My relationship with Tien improved with time. At the end of the day, he's family and we got over our immature arguments. He's become one of my best friends and a real mentor for my life. I'm grateful I got to share that modeling experience with him and because of him.

Tien continued modelling for years to come and even got several acting gigs. That shoot with Theme was the last time I ever modelled. Except for being a role-model at Island School. I was a House Prefect there.

1 comment:

kor said...

My little brother,

I loved you then ... I love you now ... and i will always love you. Perhaps I don’t show it in ways that you understand.

Tears come to my eyes when i recall ( mainly at night ) all the times when i could have behaved kinder and gentler, when i was just mean. You will not know this because i never speak of it and because your soul is gentler than
mine.

I ask you humbly to forgive all my immature acts of selfishness and cruelty. I ask you to forgive the wild teenage boy of yesterday.

As i write this to you, i wanted to share my grief and my regret at some of my past actions towards you when we were growing up. But instead now my heart is filled with pride as i think of all your accomplishments.

Your grades, your entry to Boston University, your willingness to push yourself and workhard. Your commitment to excellence. In my lessons at school, I speak of a wild younger brother to my students, who sashayed on the catwalk with blue hair smiling at all the flashing cameras. The charismatic devil that rubbed shoulders with Madonna and Christy Turlington. The educated scholar that designs and markets the clothes and shoes that they wear, And the mad health trainer that pushes people to the brink of their fitness.

Chien Hung, you are my model, and i tell stories of YOU to my students to encourage and inspire.

You ARE a model in my mind and my heart. I shared this information with others. Perhaps it would have been best if i shared those feelings with you first.

With Love and Pride

Ko
Chan Tien-Hsiang